Friday, August 9, 2013

House of Cards - S1, E5 - "Chapter 5" Review

Did Claire find out about Frank and Zoe's night together? Has Peter smartened up yet? Let's find out!




So, Frank manipulates Peter once again, dangling a Governor seat in front of him. I felt as if Peter's story was actually the focal point in this episode, besides that whole lobbyist picket scene at the gala. After Christine left Peter (hopefully that wasn't the last time we see her), Peter started to descend more and more into depression, what with the drugs and drinking again. But, then he proceeded to confront Frank at his house. This is where it got real interesting, because Frank just lies through his teeth so well, that even Peter believes everything he's saying. I thought it was odd when Frank had Peter get into a bathtub, but I should've seen the suicide threat coming. Though, that didn't stop my jaw from dropping when Frank laid the razor blade on the tub. But, Peter didn't go through with it and it seems that he's going to continue to follow through with Frank's plan. (sighs) Stupid man.

Zoe didn't do too much in this episode; she was too busy getting used to her new job at a strange paper where she didn't even need to hand her story ideas to the editor. She also convinced Frank that she could be trusted by allowing him to take some candid pictures of her on his phone. Good times had by all, I guess. Then, she showed up at the gala later on and did pretty much nothing except have a conversation with Frank and Claire; which reminds me: At the beginning of the episode, Frank comes home after sexing it up with Zoe, and Claire knows exactly where he was, and then they had a casual conversation about it? Whoa. I guess they have an open relationship, as long as it benefits their own schemes. Very strange indeed.

But, that brings me to an interesting thought: I've known that Claire and Adam will probably sleep together at some point, but the way Frank looked at them at the party tells me something; If Frank and Claire allow each other to sleep around if it benefits a plan of theirs, what will Frank think if Claire sleeps with Adam purely out of lust? I'm picturing a not-so-happy Frank. It's definitely not good to make Frank angry.

I also liked the scene with The Hammer and the owner of The Herald newspaper. He was facing termination for calling Zoe the "c-word", but he still acted as if he was so much better than her. He was really set in his ways, totally badmouthing social media and the like by referring to it as "fads". Then, he was forced to sign his resignation letter. Damn, will this be the end of The Hammer on this show? I really enjoy referring to someone with such a funny nickname, it would be a shame to lose good writing material.

Lastly, I want to comment on Al Sapienza's character, Marty Spinella, a lobbyist for the teachers' union that Frank screwed over. In the episode, Spinella and Frank have a heated argument in which Spinella drops several "f-bombs" in a hysterical fashion; so much in fact, that even Stamper comments on it. Loved it! But, Sapienza did such a great job in this role, and I hope that he comes back for more, if only to entertain me again.

That's all for now, but hopefully I'll be able to watch the next episode soon; it may be a crazy weekend. Until then, enjoy this review!


No comments:

Post a Comment