Monday, August 26, 2013

Breaking Bad - S5, E11 - "Confessions" Review

What happened in the interrogation room with Hank and Jesse? Did Skylar have yet another nervous breakdown? And did Marie go back to her kleptomaniac ways?? Read on to find out!


First things first, the scene in the interrogation room was very anticlimactic. I realize that the ending to last week's episode was just a way of giving us a good cliffhanger, but I really thought it would have a decent payoff. Either way, it was good to see that Jesse wouldn't talk about Walt and their operation, and that Hank was tossed out of the room quickly once Saul showed up.

I noticed something really amazing about this show, by the way: this show is just full of incredibly-acted scenes! The moment at the restaurant when Hank and Marie met up with Walt and Skylar was riddled with suspense; I had no idea what to expect, and I didn't have any idea what Walt had planned that dinner for. The best part was that this just came after Walt's talk with Flynn (or Walt Jr., whatever you want to call him), where, as always, I enjoyed every minute that RJ Mitte was on screen; He's such a gifted actor, and I really wish that there was more of him on the show. But back at the restaurant, Walt tried to get Hank to back down for the sake of Flynn, due to the fact that he just found out that Walt got cancer again. Marie was the standout here, when she suggested that Walt just kill himself. My mouth dropped, to be honest, because I wasn't expecting that at all. After the conversation, Walt and Skylar left, while Walt gave a DVD to Hank. The contents of the DVD were the highlight of the episode, in my opinion.

Earlier, Walt had sat down to record what looked to be a confession, while Skylar asked if he was sure about going through with it. We didn't get to see the rest of the video, until Marie and Hank watched it later. What followed was a well-acted "confession" by Walt, in which he fingered Hank as the mastermind of the drug empire who partnered with Gus Fring, while in this version of the story, Walt was just the lab cook who Hank had forced to work for him. It was all kinds of incredible. Even the fact that Walt had paid for Hank's medical bills came back into the story, as Hank had figured out that that would be part of his downfall if he kept on pressing Walt any further. I think that this was one of my favorite moments of the entire series.

Then we come to the scene where Jesse and Walt talked in the desert. Needless to say, I was very afraid for Jesse during this scene, because with Walt, you never know how far he'll go to keep himself and his family out of harm's way. It was great when Jesse saw through Walt's speech about Jesse's well-being, and turned it around by telling Walt to finally tell the truth. When he also said, "Just admit you came out here to kill me like you did to Mike", I was ready to scream at the TV, hoping that this wasn't Jesse's end. But, Walt surprised me and did something that I've been waiting for him to do all throughout the series, and gave Jesse a hug. It was a long time coming.

Afterwards, when Jesse was getting ready to leave town, and Saul was helping with the preparations, I still had this bad feeling that they were planning on killing him. Then, Jesse found the ricin cigarettes when he went for a smoke, and all hell broke loose. Seeing him beat up Saul and force him to talk about the ricin, and especially when Jesse found out that Walt poisoned Brock.. it was a masterpiece. Then, Jesse broke into Walt's house with a can of gasoline and started pouring it all over. The end.

Oh. My. God! What an ending!

Next week is going to be crazy, as are the rest of the episodes, and I can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment