Sunday, August 11, 2013

Breaking Bad - S5, E9 - "Blood Money" Review

After almost a year of being off the air, the long wait for fans of the show was a grueling one. Well, I can only imagine since, thankfully, I just finished watching the previous eight episodes last week on Netflix. This will be the first time that I watch Breaking Bad on a weekly basis. Let's find out if it was worth the wait:



This was a good premiere, especially since there are only eight episodes left in the series (seven after tonight). The first scene was incredible in itself, being that it showed us a glimpse of the future for Walter White. Apparently, his house is abandoned, kids are skateboarding in his drained pool, and the word "Heisenberg" is written on a wall inside the house. I can't wait to see what led to all of this.

Back in the present, Walt and Skylar were busy running their car wash, while Lydia shows up to try and get Walt back in the "cooking" business. Walt may have turned her down for now, but we'll see if she shows up again; Lydia has never seemed to be the kind of woman to give up so easily, even back when Mike was threatening to kill her all the time. Although her little confrontation with Skylar may have even shook some sense into her.

Jesse was having a bit of trouble in this episode, mostly because he still felt guilty about that kid being shot. It's been a hell of a roller coaster ride for Jesse, so to see him try and get rid of all that money, in every way possible, was such a big step for him. I'm really interested to see where Jesse ends up at the end of this show. The conversation between him and Walt was great too, especially since we all know that Jesse can't really believe anything that Walt said. He just can't. He's known him too long, he knows what he's capable of, and he knows that Walt was responsible for the deaths of all those inmates. He seems truly terrified of Walt at this point.



Now, the big moment of this episode was the ending scene. I really thought that the little game of cat-and-mouse between Hank and Walt would continue for another episode or two, but thankfully that was not the case. Once Walt stopped and turned around to face Hank, and he brought out the GPS tracker, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole scene, but I was still amazed that Walt was being his usual. pathological liar, self and denying everything that Hank accused him of. That is, until the final moments where Hank said, "I don't even know who I'm talking to" and Walt replied, "If you don't know who I am, then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly".

Jaw = Dropped

Wow. Seven more episodes of these guys at each others' throats? It's going to be a great ending to the series, and I'm glad that it's being done right so far. I also just want to say that I'm glad that this show gets the recognition it deserves when it comes to the acting. That last scene is a prime example of great actors being masters of their craft. I cant wait for next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment